Monday, September 15, 2008

Sleeping and Beds



When I was younger, I wasn't very fond of sleeping. I never really fought going to bed and have always gone to sleep relatively quickly after laying down. I guess I just thought that sleeping was overrated. Then adolescence happened. Like most teenagers, I stayed up too late but never had the luxury of sleeping in. My parents believed (and still do) that if you sleep past 8 o'clock then the whole day is wasted. My father would start hollering to wake up long before he actually made it to my room. It was one of those things that you couldn't ignore if you were trying to sleep. So I would get up, and go about whatever chore I was assigned that day.

When I went to college, I made all my classes early in the morning. My feeling is that if you get them over with early, you've got the rest of the day to play. I never had roommates that shared this view. So basically, sleeping in during college didn't happen either. After I got out of college and started living on my own, the only day I could sleep in was Saturday. For me, sleeping in meant 9 o'clock. Once I woke up, there was no lounging around in the bed. Once awake, I was ready to get up.

David and I have been married for almost 13 years. He tends to be more of a night owl and has difficulty sleeping. When he's not busy (and I can't remember the last time that was) he'll sleep in till about 11 or 12. Not so with me. Now that Raelynn is a part of our family, I try to get up with her and monitor her activities. When I don't, there tends to be walls that get "painted" and stickers that find their way to the tabletops. Did I mention Raelynn gets up on Saturday and Sunday at around 6 in the morning? That's when she wakes up during the week, but I have to drag her out of bed each weekday morning. She stopped taking naps once she got in kindergarten-I guess she no longer sees a need.

Me? I have some serious nap needs. The older I get, the more I love to sleep. I love going to bed, sleeping while in my bed, and lounging around my bed once I've woken up. When we moved to Starkville, David and I upgraded from a queen to a king and I've not regretted it. We also got a nice mattress, one with a thick pillow top. When you add the fact that we have high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, we're talking some serious sleeping here. I think I'd add sleeping to my hobby list except that most people don't usually list that as something they do in their spare time. It sorta gives off a "hobo-like" air. The fact is, I really love my bed and sleeping. I think that it's something I should do more often.

2 comments:

Mrs. McMillen said...

i love sleeping too. I definitely still sleep till 11 or 12 on weekends :)

Unknown said...

I really WANT to sleep in sometimes (on Saturday, of course) and even PLAN to sleep in. Then I can't. I wake up, feel a moment of bliss when I realize I have nowhere that I have to be, and snuggle back into the covers. About 10 or 15 seconds later, my mind starts turning with all the yucky things that need to be done at my house. Then I just can't sleep. It's over!! On another note, I have a very strong opinion on sheets. Have you tried 100% modal (sp?) sheets. THE BEST!! Next time you need to get a set of sheets, please at least just FEEL some of these. I love them because I never feel hot when I'm under them (though Steve assures I still am) haha.