Friday, January 30, 2009

The Total Unjustness Of Sweatpants

Okay, it's cold outside. Most people wear pants, jeans.....me....I prefer to bum around in sweatpants. First, they are comfy. I never realized how important comfort was until I "grew up" and had to work for a living. Also, elastic can be your friend. I know some of you don't agree with me, but as a person whose weight fluctuates, I appreciate it when at least something fits. But I digress.


Even though I enjoy wearing sweatpants, I get a little unhappy when I think about all the sweatpant injustice out there.


Okay, first gripe:
I carry a cell phone like most people do nowadays. I'm not the kind of person that feels good leaving my phone on my desk at work (people have sticky fingers....I have a teacher friend that had a 9 year-old student steal her cell phone and then throw it in the toilet at school!) and I don't always hear my phone go off in my purse. (I'm hearing impaired.) I like to carry my cell phone in my pocket. Most of the time, I'm wearing pants or jeans to work and there's no problem. On the weekends, when I'm out and about wearing my sweatpants, I can't put my phone in my pocket because most women's sweatpants don't have pockets!


Did you know that men's sweatpants have pockets? Perhaps this is because most men don't carry around a purse and they need a place for their wallet. I have a place for my wallet too....my purse...what I need is a place for my cell phone! Tell me that's not unfair! Why can't women's sweatpants have pockets? If you don't need, don't use 'em! If you need them, there they are!!!


Second gripe:
Color. Women's sweatpants come in the most awful colors. I mean, I like bright colors.....just not in my sweat pants! I prefer a nice neutral color that I could wear with my brightly colored shirts!! It's really hard to match to sweatpants in sage green, light pink, magenta, or baby blue. Come on people! What's wrong with black? Navy blue? Gray? Why must we dress ourselves like Easter eggs on our legs?


You know what I'm going to say, right? Men's sweatpants come in a variety of neutral colors. And they have pockets. I'm sure this is because most men would find it less manly to wear sweatpants in sage green, light pink, magenta, or baby blue. Someone smart figured out that the neutral colors were the way to go.


Third gripe:
Cost. As I'm sure you've guessed, women's sweatpants cost more than men's. Now why is that? Most of the men's pants are larger and require more fabric. Should they not be more expensive then? Or is it the fact that so much trouble was gone through to secure the rare colors of sage green, light pink, magenta, or baby blue? Sweatpants for men cost less. That's just not right. I figure women's cost more because we'll pay more. Guys will see a pair of sweatpants they want (probably black with pockets) but would flip out if they had to pay more than $7 for them. The ugly women's pants will cost about $12 and that's at the cheap and evil Wal-Mart.


I think I have the solution. From now on, I'll just shop for sweatpants in the men's department. And if anyone asks me what I'm doing, I'll tell them my husband is looking for some nice neutral colored sweats with pockets. So he can carry his cell phone. Ahhhh.....the injustice of living a lie!

6 comments:

Mrs. McMillen said...

hahaha....I love sweatpants too...but you konw that the What Not To Wear people would say that you dont need pockets to carry your cell phone b/c you shoudl not be leaving the house in your sweats! hhaa...but I went to get ice cream in mine tonight so I cant say anything...haha...

Crystal said...

Man, I completely agree with this. I tend to wear yoga pants rather than sweats, but they have the same problem of no pockets. I feel they same way you do about the cell phone too. I forgot mine today and it bugged me all day long that it wasn't in my pocket. Oh well...I hope you have a nice, restful, peaceful weekend :-)

Anonymous said...

try the Lands End "sweats" from your local Sears--navy, black, etc. AND they have pockets.

LT (and Max) said...

you totally crack me up. i'd be lying if i said i didn't love everything about wearing oversized sweatpants myself. nothing's better. and magenta sweatpants? even better.

and YES! i'd be happy to make you a header if you'd like! just email me and let me know what you want it to look like and i'll see what i can do.

LLTomlinson@hotmail.com

Jason said...

I know this thread is kind of old but the boyfriend style sweatpants from Victoria's Secret PINK have pockets in them and they have neutral colors too. Check out the site online. Free City, another company that makes Unisex sweatpants also has a variety of colors, so does Abercrombie & Fitch, and Aerie. These are the stores to go to if you want to find womens sweats with pockets, neutral colors, and to get sweatpants that are a lot more stylish than the ones sold at Walmart. Also even though mens sweatpants may be a lot cheaper, womens sweats tend to be made to feel a lot softer and more comfortable than mens sweatpants. So you get what you pay for.

Jason said...

Also, just in case you are wondering, even though Im a guy I know this by doing research. I don't wear women's clothes and never will.