Sunday, January 25, 2009

So Creepy......

Hannah Montana lives in my living room. Or at least that's what it feels like. Raelynn had her birthday party last weekend and when we were buying stuff for it at the evil Wal-Mart, she saw this life-sized mylar balloon of Hannah Montana. Since that's the theme we were going with, she, of course, wanted it. I caved in because...hey...you only turn 8 once!


So we toted Hannah all through the store and Raelynn finally had someone to listen to her chattering and singing while we were shopping. (I do listen to her, but I can only take in so much Strawberry Shortcake and Barbie talk...after awhile it all runs together.) So we got our groceries and headed out to the car, which thankfully I could locate this time. As we went outside, the helium in the balloon contracted and made the balloon look like it was leaking. I hadn't thought about how the cold could do that. We got Hannah to the car and it was interesting to watch her re-inflate after the heater was put on. So far, this is most entertaining this balloon has been to me. We took her on the party and we all had a good time.


Raelynn has continued to enjoy her Hannah Montana balloon all this week. I mentioned in an earlier post that our house is pretty drafty. Many times this week Hannah has deflated and re-inflated as the interior temperature has changed. Raelynn has been very concerned about Hannah and has kept her in the living room near the fire to make sure she stays as warm (and inflated) as possible.


Here's the creepy part. The ballon is anchored to a weight which keeps her from floating to the ceiling. Well, thanks to innovations in mylar balloons that don't loose helium and the weight holding her down, a week later I look out of the corner of my eye and I see a life-sized person slowly spinning around. I don't think Raelynn (or the balloon) realize that eventually I am going to get freaked out and "accidently" pop her. I think I may amuse myself and the neighbors by anchoring her next to our picture window so it'll look like we have a celebrity staying with us.


Lesson learned: Don't buy anymore life-sized balloons. I'm just not in a place where creepy works for me.

No comments: