Friday, January 2, 2009

Romance--Real or Imaginary?


So I've had something on my mind for the last week or so. Romance--or more likely, the allusion of romance. I'm guessing that my many viewings of Twilight haven't helped. Tonight, I was cruising through the channels on TV and I came across a favorite movie of mine: Sabrina. This movie has been done several times. Most people probably like the version with Audrey Hepburn, and as much as I like her, that version isn't my favorite. I really like the version with Harrison Ford and Julia Ormand. Part of the appeal is the romance, part of it is that part of the movie takes place in Paris, France. I've never been to Paris, or Europe for that matter, but it's some place I've always wanted to visit. In my mind it feels like the city would be dripping with romance (of which I'm a big fan) and since most people speak French I wouldn't understand what they are saying. I could just enjoy the romantic qualities that the language has. I could just pretend every one is speaking romantically to each other. I think there are several things in Paris that I'd like to see.


Okay, so who wouldn't want to see the Eiffel Tower? The pictures I've seen make it look so incredible, especially at night. Lots of movies have been filmed there--mostly romantic ones. I believe that Tom Cruise proposed to Katie Holmes there. As much as I don't like heights, I think I'd have no problems with it if I found myself visiting this landmark. I could then also get a magnet for my refrigerator and then say that I've actually been there. So far the closest I've been is when my mom bought me a magnet from her trip to Paris, TN. But still--Paris is Paris.

The Arc de Triomphe and the Louvre are two other things I'd like to see. Part of the Da Vinci Code movie was filmed at the Louvre and I loved it. By the way, that movie isn't what I'd call romantic, but still it's a good movie to watch. People have told me that the French are snobby and that everything is really expensive there. I used to live in Key West, so I know first hand about what expensive and snobby. I'm not sure if I think that if I were to visit these places in Paris that I'd suddenly be struck down with background music playing and have a happily ever after ending. Like I said earlier, it's really just an allusion. No relationship can withstand having romance 24/7. It just wears you out. I've got a great husband and I definitely am not complaining. But anyone who enjoys a good romantic movie knows what I'm talking about. We like the feeling of being swept away and we all have romantic moments that we remember well. I think it's just something that we are exposed to at an early age (all those fairy tales) and the allusion lives on.
As I think about this, I need to revise what I said about romantic movies. I don't enjoy all of them. One that comes to mind is the movie "Love in the Time of Cholera." I watched this because this book was a part of the incredibly romantic movie, "Serendipity." I didn't enjoy the Cholera movie. An example of a romantic movie that I did enjoy was the Jane Austen classic, "Persuasion." This book was mentioned in the incredibly romantic movie, "The Lake House." One movie that stands out is "Somewhere in Time." That one is a little depressing because Christopher Reeve's character dies at the end. David really doesn't like this movie, but I do. But again, all these are movies where the problem is solved in under 2 hours and we never find out what happens when they have their first fight after being swept off her feet.
While watching the movie Sabrina, there was a song that came on that I thought was just so perfect. The song is called La Vie en Rose. The lyrics are:
Hold me close and hold me fast
The magic spell you cast
This is la vie en rose
When you kiss me heaven sighs
And tho I close my eyes
I see la vie en rose
When you press me to your heart
I'm in a world apart
A world where roses bloom
And when you speak...angels sing from above
Everyday words seem...to turn into love songs
Give your heart and soul to me
And life will always be La vie en rose
I thought it was a very romantic song. And the movie is set in Paris. But maybe it isn't and it's just all an allusion. Either way, real or allusion, I feel good. And that's all that really matters.

No comments: