Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Little Dab'll Do Ya!

Okay, so I hope you don't think I'm talking about Brylcreem. I think my dad used it in the 50's but for some reason, the jingle for it came to my head while thinking for a title for this post. But anyway...in my little corner of the world, I have found the cure for the blues. Add some glitter and the blues go away! Let me 'splain.....



I don't know when I started it, but on Fridays, I "glam" it up by adding some sparkle to my beauty regime. It probably doesn't flatter me and makes me look older and nuttier than usual, but it doesn't seem to slow me down. People around these parts are pretty conservative, so I've had to ease my way back into the glitter. I know it doesn't make any sense, but even though I can't see it, I feel better about my day.



I've gotten the system down to a manageable routine. I put on my eyeshadow and eyeliner as usual and then add some Urban Decay liquid glitter eyeliner on top of my regular eyeliner as a type of "glue" for the next layer of glitter. I must say here that I adore my liquid glitter eyeliner...I have it in many colors and am always on the lookout for new colors. But I digress....While the Urban Decay liner is still wet, I then pat loose glitter on top of that. I have many little vials of this wonderful pixie dust that I find at our local Claire's. Yes, I shop at Claire's and I'm not afraid to admit it. After the loose glitter is in place, I add my usual brown/black mascara. My last step in this process is to take some loose glitter in a different color and spread it lightly on my cheekbones and above on my brow. On the rare occasion, I will also add my fake, glitter eyelashes and some glitter lip gloss. Over the top, you say? Well.....I'd agree with you. Somewhere along the way, I stopped caring how much I resembled a drag queen and embraced my tackiness. All I can say is....it cheers me up and is a great way to usher in the weekend. And if I should happen to have plans Friday night, my face is already dressed for the occasion.



Before you knock it, you should try it. My students love it, which proves that it's "cool."



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you ever get glitter lodged in your eye?

Anonymous said...

Tell me you don't wear contacts...a tiny speck of that glitter lodged behind a contact lens would be very vexing. But as long as you look good, that's the important thing.

Crystal said...

I think it's awesome that you wear glitter. I would look like a complete idiot, not to mention I really hate glitter most of the time. It's just so messy.