Sunday, July 20, 2008

Some "ugly" and "serious" time

I think that I start most of my posts with the words "Okay" or "So." I'm not sure why that is. I think that I start most conversations with those words too. In my mind, I must be having a continuous conversation--it wouldn't be the first time that I had a conversation with myself.

Today is Sunday. Busy day. I awoke early to my daughter telling me she loved me, followed by a request to watch "just a little TV." I agree, and she leaves me to lay in bed, not wanting to get up and not wanting to go back to sleep either. We each made our own breakfasts: Raelynn-cheese crackers, David-hash/egg/tomato omlette, me- leftover fish sticks and macaroni and cheese. We went to church, came home, cleaned out the fridge, made the grocery list, ate a quick bite (more mac and cheese), then went back into town for a trip to Wal-Mart. We made it home in record time! I made dinner (salad and spaghetti) and then we were off to church again.

Now I'm home and I've just polished off a small bowl of no sugar added Breyer's vanilla ice cream. As I opened the fridge, I notice that the piece of chocolate cake that I bought at the store today was still waiting for me. I sit here now and ponder whether I should eat it today or save it till tomorrow. I adore chocolate cake.

On a side note, the steroids that I'm taking for my ear problem (see earlier post) make me feel like any minute I am going to die. My chest hurts, my heart palpatates, and the entire inside of my mouth is blistered. I have three more days on this medicine until I go back to the doctor on Tuesday. So far, there has been no change in my condition. I am claiming God's promise of healing and am waiting on Him. In the meantime, my left ear has the continual high pitched ringing of many crickets on a summer night. Although that may sound charming, it isn't. With the crickets, when you're tired of listening to them, you go inside and close your door. I've been trying to get outside of my head for the last several weeks, and have had no luck.

I'm not feeling very philosophical at the moment. Nothing witty comes to mind to write about. I guess that's okay because I find people that are always funny can be dangerous. It's great to be funny, but you have to have some balance. It's the same for people who look goregous all the time. You have to get some ugly time in there so people know you're real. This is the reality that I deal with daily: how to fit in more "ugly" time each day. :-)

There's only a few weeks of summer left and I haven't done what I wanted in the time I wanted to do it. I have only gone to Greg's Produce Barn a mile or two from my house once this summer to buy some of his homegrown tomatoes. I adore summer tomatoes. Slice them up real nice with a small dallop of mayo and some salt and pepper and you have a fine meal.

I had hoped to be further along in my lesson plans and organizing for school. Usually at this time of year, I am super enthused about going back to work. I'm not really dreading going back to work, I just don't feel as pumped up as I should be. I'm going to blame the stupid steriuds for that.

My house isn't completely cleaned and organized. The kitchen, Raelynn's room, and our bedroom is done. The bathrooms won't need much. It's the living room that I really don't want to tackle.

I haven't read as much as I would have liked so far this summer. I've read People magazine each week, plus one Nicholas Sparks book, and Joey Pigza Swallows the Key. It was a good book, but I don't think I should read it to my class.

I have managed to enjoy my Netflix subscription so far this summer. David and I watched "Wild Hogs" last night and had a few chuckles. So far I have 56 titles in my queue. I think I'll be loaded up for awhile. I may have to scale back some during the fall because I'll be taking a class and of course Survivor and the Office will be back on. In the spring I can look forward to American Idol and the Amazing Race. Sad that I so look forward to watching TV.

So far this week, I have nothing much scheduled. Other than a doctor's appointment on Tuesday, I may go to lunch or something with my friend Jennifer. Looks like my social life is back to raisins again.

Okay, so this is my "serious" and "ugly" time for the week. Now we all know that I'm balanced. My next post will me more witty.....I promise.

No comments: