Monday, November 24, 2008

He Had Me At Hello

Today is a significant day. Thirteen years ago today, I married the man of my dreams. When I look back to the time I've spent with David, it doesn't seem like it's been that long. On the other hand, I find that I can not see my past before him clearly. It feels like he's always been with me. Since I really love him, I'd say that's a good thing.



For those of you who don't know, David and I met in December of 1986 at my grandmother's house. The year before, David's sister Melissa, and my brother Hugh had gotten married. I was not able to go to the wedding, so this was the first opportunity I had to meet him. David was 21 and had just gotten out of the army. He was very cute and I felt a connection to him immediately. I was still in high school so, we dated long distance for a few months. Those were tough times. Neither one of us knew whether we were coming or going. We broke up shortly thereafter.



For those of you that have interconnected families, you quickly learn that the other person never really goes away. Over the years, I heard about David and what he was up to from my brother and sister-in-law. I also roomed in college with his other sister, Susan. Another connection. We ran into each other at family functions and it was always awkward. The timing wasn't right.



Ten years later, I met up with David again at Christmas, but this time at my brother and sister-in-law's house. By this time, they had two kids and were the only grandchildren on either side. An easy compromise for everyone was to have one large family Christmas. David and I walked and talked for about 2 days during that time. We even had a few fights. David was teaching in Alabama and I was teaching in Florida. We began our long distance relationship again.


This time it was different. Time and maturity were on both of our sides. Three months after meeting up again at my brother's house, we became engaged. Eight months after that we were married. The rest is history.



I don't often blog much about David. Some people that work with him read my blog and I don't want to put David into a weird situation he didn't ask to be in. David also doesn't read my blog. He feels like if I were to write about something and he didn't like it, it would really hurt me. And it would. He's very good like that. Very perceptive and wise.


I know that he was sent to me by God, because I asked for him. I didn't ask for him by name, but about 3 weeks prior to our reuniting, I made a list of all the qualities I was looking for in a husband and then prayed that the Lord would send him to me. I listed all the qualities that I was looking for, even down to hair and eye color. It's hard to believe that it all happened so quickly but it did. We've had our ups and downs, but I figure that all marriages do. I can't imagine even a day without him. I feel very blessed to be his wife. I feel like I'm a better person because I know him. He's had to overcome some large obstacles in his life, but he's still standing strong. If you ever come in contact with him, it'll be an experience you'll always remember. He's that great.



Happy Anniversary honey. I love you very much. Everyday with you is better than the one before! Thank you for choosing me.

2 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

aw! happy anniversary! what a sweet sweet story. i hope it was a great day!

p.s. fall weddings are my favorite!:)

Mrs. McMillen said...

happy anniversary!!! yall are too sweet! :)