Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

I've tried several times to write a post, but haven't been able to finish it. I'm not sure why that is. Anyway, I'm determined to finish this one. You'll have to bear with me if the topic(s) seem to drift....
Today is Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to all you lovely ladies out there....both those with and without children. Even if you don't have kids yet, you might one day, and even if you don't, I'm sure there are lots of people that you've been a shoulder to lean on, very much like a mother.
My Mother's Day weekend has been great. On Friday, my husband and daughter sent me flowers to school. I love flowers. David gave me flowers a lot when we first got married, and then they've sorta tapered off. Don't blame him, I really see his point. First, the flowers die. They're real nice but they don't last. Also, David buying me something with "his" money is ridiculous because it's really "our" money. And David is really a practical person. If you need tires for your car, he'd rather buy that for your birthday since it's something you need. When he does send flowers, he knows how to do it. You always send the flowers to work. You get extra credit when you do that. That way, everyone around you can enjoy them too.
After school on Friday, David and Raelynn came by school and took me out to dinner. We went to Mugshots, one of my favorite places. I had the Walker burger which has crumbled blue cheese and a smear of blue cheese dressing on it. It's really good. I substituted the fries for fried pickles. If you've never had these, you're missing out. Some places have fried slices, some have fried spears. I prefer the fried slices.
Later, my friend Kathy S. came over and we walked and talked. She is one of my favorite people. She's so funny and we think a lot alike.
On Saturday, I was hoping to go to the movies, but that didn't pan out. (Side note...I was trying to organize a girls outing since David isn't a big fan of the movies.) I'm going to go sometime, even if it's by myself. I just really want to see "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past." It looks cute. I ended up picking up flowers for my mom, and they delivered them to her with the gift I got her: wind chimes made from antique silverware and silver service pieces. Mom said she loved it!
I did, however, go to a late lunch with my friends Carrie and Ashley at Applebee's. I always enjoy being around them....we have so much fun together. (They are also some of my favorite people!!)
On Sunday morning, I awoke to Raelynn telling me that she had made me breakfast in bed. She had made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and brought it to me in bed. She also managed to pour me a glass of milk without spilling anything. We went to church, where moms were recognized again, and Raelynn showered me with gifts...a pillow she made, a pink bear, and a lovely red rose. After church we went to eat a quick lunch at Arby's. David and I both enjoy the Rueben sandwich they have there.
In just a bit, we are taking my parents out to eat at the new Mexican restaurant in town. I love Mexican food. This has been a great weekend and I've felt really special. I hope that all moms out there have had similar experiences. When you see your mom, whether it's Mother's Day or not, be sure to give her a squeeze and tell her how much she means to you!

3 comments:

Mrs. McMillen said...

awww!! good post! I'm glad you had a great weekend to get you refreshed and ready for this next week!

you're a great mother! :) happy mother's day!

Kathy said...

Any post that says I'm one of your favorite people is a great post.
;< ) I think I will show this to Steve. I think he might be afraid that I'm still stalking you and that our admiration for each other is not mutual. Now I have PROOF!! Glad you had a great mother's day! I did, too. I'll have to tell you about that mystery gift I got......

Anonymous said...

Thursday, May 14, 2009
Car crashes through house, barely missing woman
Debbie Erickson was sitting on the her sofa in her Cindy Avenue home watching "Good Morning America" Thursday when she got a wake up call she won't soon forget.

A white Ford Mustang crashed through two sliding glass doors in her living room, smashing the wall, sending debris in every direction and missing her by mere feet.