Sunday, May 17, 2009

I'm Craving.....

One of my favorite places to eat when I lived in Key West was Miami Subs. It's sort of like a Subway in that you can order sub sandwiches, but you don't get to watch your sandwich go down the toppings line. You tell the people what you want on your sub and they put it all together for you. I like a good sub sandwich. And when I want one, I go to Subway. I didn't mention the other item Miami Subs makes that I adore: gyros.
I know the picture is big, but you won't get the essence of the gyro unless you can clearly see what it is made of. Miami Subs has a rotisserie of meat (I think it's a combination of beef and lamb) and they slice off pieces and put them onto some pita bread with sliced tomato, red onion, and tzatziki sauce. And it's the sauce that makes the meal.




It's been six years since I've been to Key West and just as long as it has been since I had a gyro. There is no Miami Subs in Starkville. I've inquired around, and was told that Dave's Dark Horse Tavern sold gyros and a couple of weeks ago, I met some friends there and tried one. It was fair, but not tasty enough for me to go back or to satisfy my craving for a decent gyro.


So I've been looking online for recipes for tzatziki sauce and found several of them. This afternoon I made a batch of the sauce. The ingredients that make it great are: plain yogurt (which I had to strain--a new thing for me), sour cream, garlic, salt, pepper, dill, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice. It's now sitting in my fridge so all the flavors can come together. I bought some steak strips and some pita bread, so we'll have the home version tonight. Hope it'll be as tasty as I remember so I can enjoy it while I'm watching the season finale of Survivor.




Well, it's time to cook the steak. Keep your fingers crossed that my gyros won't make me or David sick. Have a great week everyone!

5 comments:

Mrs. McMillen said...

we have a place in brandon with good gyros :)

Crystal said...

That sounds yummy. Please do a follow up post and let us know how it turned out. Oh, and give us the recipe too ;-) I thought you said you didn't cook, haha!

Vicki said...

I don't know what "the Chinese" do...but carried toilet paper, flattened, w/the inside cylinder removed. Worked for me.

Come to Jackson. Keiffer's (spelling?) has great gyros w/that "t" sauce!!

My treat!

Vicki said...

but I
but I
but I
(from above comment)

just love typing in a hurry...ha!

Menta Lee Hill said...

Tassie...long time, no post...hope everything is okay? worried about you...