Saturday, October 25, 2008

In a cage match between Harry Potter and Edward Cullen, who would win?


Hello friends. I think this has been the longest time I've gone without posting since I began doing this regularly over the summer. I have to say that part of it is just a busy life...work, grad school, oh and yeah...wife and mother. But I wouldn't completely honest if I didn't tell the other reason I've not been writing......let me 'splain....
I love to read. I've always had a voracious (hey look at my awesome vocabulary) appetite for books. When I was younger, I didn't watch much TV because we only had one in our house and my parents were the bosses of the remote. Only we didn't have a remote back then, and the remote was them calling me from across the house to come to the living room and change the channel for them. So needless to say, I didn't get much TV time. But that's okay, because once I learned to read at the age of 4, I was hooked on the written word. When I would get in trouble for the regular childhood stuff, my parents would punish me by taking away my books. I had no social life and no TV, so what else was there? I will say, however, that I always kept a book or two stashed away for such occasions. But I digress....
When I really enjoy something, I tend to go overboard sometimes. I'll eat the same thing for weeks on end until I get tired of it. I'll surf the Internet Movie Database for hours catching up on all my favorite movie trivia. I'll check Facebook over 6 times a day to see if anyone has sent me a wall post. My most recent obsession of late has been blogging. I was blogging several times a week until..... I picked up a copy of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I'd heard about this book from a friend this summer, but I didn't read it because I just didn't have the time. I was watching TV (my own now that I'm grown) the other day and saw that there was a movie based on the book being released at Thanksgiving time. There's nothing like an upcoming movie debut to light a fire under me to read the book. So I bought it. I didn't read it right away...you know, busy life and all. I remember talking to some people at work that had read it and they told me that it was great. My standard response to such a claim is always, "As great as the Harry Potter series?" You see, I read those books last year and just like you can imagine, I pretty much read all 7 books back to back. I then went through a depression for about a month afterwards thinking there would never be anything else to read. Boy was I wrong!
So I picked up the book and started it. It was a slow read at first, but quickly picked up pace and interest. As I read the book, I found that my reading breaks were getting in the way of things like eating and sleeping. And those are two past times that I never miss out on. I'm happy to say that I finished the first book this morning and in anticipation of such, I bought the second book in the series, New Moon, last night. The first book was great and I'm guessing the second book will be too. Really. And if you're like me and you're afraid that nothing will ever be as good as Harry Potter, you are sadly mistaken. These books are totally different, so you can love both series and not feel like you're picking favorites.
I loved the action and detail in Harry Potter. The stories all flowed together and I was so sad to see them end. But Twilight has much more than action. Its essence is that of a love story. And I'm a real sucker for those. I didn't cry in this book, but I think that as I read the other books, that may change.
It's weird. I'm not a fan of fantasy books, wizards, or vampires. I'm trying real hard to not start the second book until I've gotten some serious work done. And believe me, I've got lots to do. I think my life is still waiting for me out there....
But as I wash the dishes and grade my papers, I still wonder who would win in that cage match...Harry Potter and his trusty wand or Edward Cullen with his speed and skills? If you have a theory, let me know.

No comments: