Sunday, December 28, 2008

I Swear They Multiply When I'm Not Looking

So tonight I spent some time doing something that I've been putting off for a couple of years. I took the time to sort out all of the Tupperware and other plastic storage containers. I made tacos for dinner tonight and was looking for some containers to put the rest of the leftovers in, when I became frustrated because I couldn't find a lid and bowl to match. So I sat on the floor in the kitchen with all the lids and bowls spread out around me and tried to match them. I ended up bagging some of the extra bowls and trashing them. It seems that the "Glad-ware" and "Ziploc-ware" containers are the ones that I have the most of. I managed to keep some of those too and got rid of the rest.



I really long to be organized like this in all areas. I've taken many personality and learning styles tests and they have all shown me that I'm in the structured/organized category. I do agree with that to a point. I like things to be orderly and neat, I just don't always succeed at putting stuff back. My mother fussed at me a lot growing up about that same thing. However, knowing my personality like I do and my tendency to go overboard with stuff, I'm afraid that if I try to get too organized, I'll take it too far and become unpleasant to be around. You know those sort of people, right? They're too busy straightening things up to have a good time. Scientists have said that it takes 21 times or about 3 weeks to make something a habit. I'm hoping that's true and I can spend the next few weeks getting everything around me to make more sense.



And when I get depressed that my progress isn't as speedy as it should be, I'll just look at my neatly organized storage bowls and tell myself "I think I can, I think I can."

1 comment:

The Andersons said...

You should have passed some of those Tupperware containers along to me---I seem to lose all of mine and can't ever find any!! :) Hope you are enjoying your break!