Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Blogging Potpourri

I'm letting you know now that I have no idea where this post will take you. If you're up for the reading of it, then I'm up for the writing of it. Here goes...


First off, spring break is here!! Yahoo!!!!! I am really enjoying my time off. People who complain that teachers get too much time off....here's what I say....come and spend a week doing what I do, and you'll see why we get so much time off. Also, keep in mind that we don't get paid for our time off! Teacher salaries are notoriously low. I figure that's to keep up humble. So far this spring break I have gone to the dentist to have a filling replaced (I'm working on a post for this), taking Raelynn to the dentist to get a cavity filled (happy to report that no blood was shed), and contracted what I believe to be strep throat. Fun. There's nothing like getting sick when on vacation. Oddly, I think I'd almost rather it be this way. I don't have the energy to handle the day-to-day stresses of my job and feeling crummy. It doesn't stop me from going to work, it only makes it harder for me to do my job. Luckily, I have a prescription here at home for an antibiotic, which I have been popping. Hopefully it will kick in and kick in soon. Tomorrow I'm getting my hair done and it would take a lot more than being sick to keep me from going!


Some other things that are going around in my mind....

*The Twilight DVD release is set for this Saturday, March 21. I have preordered my copy from Sam Goody's and will be there to pick it up at midnight on Friday, March 20th. My friend Wendy and I will watch it on Saturday on her big screen TV. I'm looking forward to watching it with subtitles (see yesterday's post) and to view the extra stuff--deleted scenes, commentary....all that stuff. Tomorrow I will pick up the newest book about Twilight...this one was written by the director of the movie and it relates her notes and thoughts while filming. Basically, I've read out of stuff to read about Twilight. I didn't think it was possible, but I went to the evil Wal-Mart today and was able to walk past the People magazines and not feel tempted to buy one. I think I've purchased two of them since my Twilight phase began in October of last year. It's really a great book. The music from the movie is pretty good too...I've been listening to that in my car since Christmas.


*My mom found a little, bitty kitten at her next door neighbor's house yesterday. She is completely black with blue eyes. My mom named her Lucky since she was so young it's totally possible that if my mom hadn't of picked her up, she would have died. She's cute and Raelynn is totally in love.


*Raelynn's dental appointment went well. She's really maturing and is better able to take direction. Thank the Lord that her dentist has happy gas for the kids to use if they are uptight. Raelynn takes after her mother and is very uptight. I think part of her motivation was to get a big prize at the evil Wal-Mart for good behavior. I think I'd do the same thing too if I knew I was gonna get something afterwards.


*I've started working on my paper. When I say that, what I really mean is that I'm going through all my research articles and summarizing them before trying to write the introduction. You sorta have to have read the literature on the topic before you can write a section entitled "A Review of the Literature." If you're totally bored and you'd like to help me with this, please leave a comment!


*David has created an electronic gate opening system that he made from a garage door opener. It works really well. He tried to explain it all to me before he started, but I have spatial issues and couldn't picture it until he built it. He's real proud of it and so am I. This means I won't get wet anymore on my way to work. (Did I mention that he also built a wonderful car port too?) No more damp hair!


*I've watched lots of TV and taken lots of naps so far this week. I think that's because I feel crappy but I'm not going to question it. I love doing both of those things and I will continue to pursue them as long as I can. I wish I could say I was cleaning my house but it wouldn't be true. Cleaning is only fun when I'm really mad about something. David and I get along really well, so that would explain the condition of my house.

So those are the only things I can think of at the moment that are close to the surface. Most of it blah, all of it unnecessary, and some of it just stinks....just like potpourri. Don't you just love how I can bring the post right back around to where I started? If only writing a research paper was this easy.

1 comment:

The Andersons said...

First of all, YUCK on being sick during Spring Break! :(! But you are right, at least you can take it easy since it IS Spring Break. Because I, like you, am a workaholic and would be working while I was sick. Second, I love your "potpourri posts"--that's usually what all of mine are! ha! Third, I am VERY excited about Twilight coming out this weekend! I have been begging Kevin to buy it for me. :) Maybe he will be sweet and do so. I hope you get to feeling better, and enjoy the rest of your break! :)