Monday, July 23, 2007

I Spy Shapes in Art by Lucy Micklethwait #35


Micklethwait, L. (2004). I spy shapes in art. New York: Greenwillow Books.

Book Type/Pages:

Picture/40

Grade Level:

PreK through fifth grades

Curriculum Links:

Art
Math

Author Credibility:

The author acknowledges and thanks the museums, galleries, private collectors, and copyright holders for use of their images in this book.

Awards:

Child magazine’s Best Children’s Book Award
2004 Blue Peter Book Award “The Best Book with Facts”

Book Summary:

This is a concept book of shapes, using art work as the vehicle for learning. The author starts each two page spread with the phrase “I spy with my little eye-“ and then identifies a basic shape to locate within a painting.

National/State Standards:

National Art Education Standards:
Understanding the visual arts in relation to history and cultures
Making connections between visual arts and other disciplines

National Math Standards:
Geometry

Illustrations/Graphics:

The illustrations in this book consist of reproductions of different paintings. The reproductions cover most of one page in the two page spread. The paintings are from different artists and represent different techniques and styles. Included with the painting is the title and artist associated with that piece of work.

Access Features:

Important access features in this book include a foreward and acknowledgments from the author. There is also a reference section of the different art work featured including information on artist, art title, and location of the work.

Writing Style:

The writing is very predictable and simple. The author uses the “I Spy” phrase on each two page spread. This simplistic use of language allows the reader to appreciate and study the art work more closely.

Use in My Classroom:

I would definitely use this book in conjunction with a unit on geometry. It could also be used during an artist study, as a way to compare and contrast different artists and their work.

My Response to the Book:

I enjoyed this book. I had a good time studying the paintings looking for the suggested shapes. It would be a great book to use in the classroom.

Related Texts:

Other art books by Lucy Micklethwait:
I Spy Two Eyes: Numbers in Art
I Spy: An Alphabet in Art

1 comment:

Teacher said...

I believe this would be a wonderful book to use while talking about shapes and then I could have my students create their own artwork out of different shapes.